If you want to establish a strong, differentiated brand with sought-after products and high margins, Talkoot is likely for you. Talkoot is a PIM built to help direct to consumer brands create valuable, trusting relationships with their customers on every product page through more consistent, accurate and powerful product storytelling.
If you sell relatively undifferentiated products across a wide range of marketplaces and big box retailers and don’t have a strong direct to consumer channel of your own, a PIM like Salsify might be for you.
The DNA of Talkoot: High-converting product content
Talkoot began as a tool to help global apparel and footwear brands craft compelling, accurate product stories across channels. Apparel and footwear are fast-moving categories highly influenced by cultural trends, social media and quick-changing consumer tastes.
If your products are traditionally sold at high margin through specialty shops, your own retail stores, high-end department stores or boutiques and you’re trying to build a strong DTC channel online, Talkoot will likely be the best fit for your needs.
Talkoot is first and foremost a collaborative productivity tool:
- Upstream system that supports collaboration between content and product teams
- Productivity tool designed to help teams turn raw, unstructured product data, PowerPoint decks, lookbooks, meeting notes and product briefs into inspired, consumer-facing, channel-specific product stories
- Quick and less costly to deploy, and scalable from department- to enterprise-level
You’ll likely need Talkoot first if you have:
- Well-branded, sought-after products with a loyal and well-defined customer base
- A trend-driven product line that changes quickly based on consumer tastes
- Different collections, collaborations, technologies and takedowns, each with their own story that needs telling
- A strong DTC channel, or are seeking to develop a strong DTC channel
The DNA of Salsify: Product data storage and syndication
Salsify, like most traditional PIMs, is an enterpise system built to solve the content demands of the Consumer Packaged Goods (CPG) industry — a much more transaction-oriented market driven by price, promotions and comparison shopping. For CPG companies, product content tends to be very information-based and static through time and across channels.
Salsify is first and foremost a storage and syndication system:
- Downstream system that supports e-commerce teams who need to keep information consistent across many channels
- Built to facilitate downstream storage, organization and syndication of large volumes of highly structured, static product data
- Large, enterprise-wide system that can be relatively costly and slow to deploy
You might consider implementing Salsify if you have:
- A mass market product sold on price to a broad consumer base
- An undifferentiated product line that isn’t subject to fast-changing consumer tastes
- Product content that is information-based and relatively static over time
- Many channels, each with slight variations in information format
- A large but uncomplicated product line with few relationships between products
Large, digitally mature brands eventually adopt Talkoot and a system like Salsify
With the rapid maturation of digital commerce, a new supply chain is developing to support its unique demands: the Product Content Supply Chain. Similar to the traditional Product Supply Chain, different processes, tools and technologies are needed to support every link in the chain.
Upstream, large, digitally mature brands use Talkoot to turn raw, unstructured data into structured, consumer-facing, channel-specific product stories. Downstream, they employ a system like Salsify to syndicate that consumer-facing product content along with all the metadata essential to organize and display products successfully across all the various offline and online channels.
If you’re a fast-growing, modern brand wondering which system to implement first, it’s important to remember that no consumer brand has ever disrupted their market and fended off larger competitors through better information storage. All the brands you admire most disrupted the market by building loyal communities around them through deeper, more engaging storytelling — all the way down to the product page.