If you want to establish a strong, differentiated brand with sought-after products and high margins, Talkoot PIM is likely for you. Talkoot is a PIM built to help direct to consumer brands create valuable, trusting relationships with their customers on every product page through more consistent, accurate and powerful product storytelling.
If your business succeeds by selling undifferentiated products across a wide range of marketplaces and big box retailers and your business model doesn’t rely on a strong direct to consumer channel, a traditional PIM like Akeneo might be for you.
Talkoot: An agile PIM for high-converting product content
Talkoot began as an agile PIM to help global apparel and footwear brands craft compelling, accurate product stories across channels. Apparel and footwear are fast-moving categories highly influenced by fast-moving cultural trends and consumer tastes. Which means your product content needs to change as fast as consumer tastes to stay relevant.
Though Talkoot’s user base is now spread across a wide range of consumer categories, it’s the fast-paced, always-changing consumer categories where Talkoot’s agile capabilities become indispensable.
If your products are traditionally sold at high margin through specialty shops, your own retail stores, high-end department stores or boutiques and you’re trying to build a strong DTC channel online, Talkoot will likely be the best fit for your needs.
Talkoot is first and foremost a collaborative productivity tool:
- Upstream system that supports collaboration between content creators and product teams
- Designed to help teams turn raw, unstructured product data, PowerPoint decks, lookbooks, meeting notes and product briefs into inspired, consumer-facing, channel-specific product stories
- Quick and affordable to deploy
You’ll likely need Talkoot first if you have:
- Well-branded, sought-after products with a loyal and well-defined customer base
- A trend-driven product line that changes quickly based on consumer tastes
- Different collections, collaborations, technologies and takedowns, each with their own story that needs telling
- A strong DTC channel, or are seeking to develop a strong DTC channel
The DNA of Akeneo: Product data storage
Like most traditional PIMs, Akeneo is built to solve the content demands of the Consumer Packaged Goods (CPG) industry — a transaction-oriented market driven by price, promotions and comparison shopping. For CPG companies, product content tends to be very information-based and static through time and across channels.
Unlike most PIMS, Akeneo is open source
Another big difference between Akeneo and Talkoot is that Akeneo is open source. Open source can be a benefit for organizations that have a specialized use case that requires significant customization. But for business owners who aren’t especially tech-savvy, open-source software such as Akeneo can sometimes come with a steep learning curve and hidden long-term costs.
Failing to calculate the time commitment necessary to run and maintain the open-source system can have serious consequences down the road. Brands should weigh the true costs of supporting and operating an open source system like Akeneo to ensure that they are getting the best return on their investment.
Akeneo is first and foremost a storage and syndication system:
- Downstream system that supports e-commerce teams who need to keep product information consistent across many channels
- Built to facilitate downstream storage, organization and syndication of large volumes of highly structured, static product data
- Open source solution requiring experienced IT personnel to implement and support
- Community version is free. Enterprise edition can be costly and difficult to implement
- Usually requires a 3rd party integration expert to deploy
You might consider implementing Akeneo if you have:
- A mass market product sold on price to a broad consumer base
- An undifferentiated product line that isn’t subject to fast-changing consumer tastes
- Product content that is information-based and very static over time
- Many channels, each with slight variations in information format
- A very custom use case and experienced IT team to support
Large, digitally mature brands eventually adopt both an upstream PIM solution like Talkoot and a downstream solution like Akeneo. Similar to a traditional Product Supply Chain, different processes, tools and technologies are needed to support every link in the product content supply chain.
Upstream, brands use Talkoot to turn raw, unstructured data into structured, accurate, powerful, channel-specific product stories. Downstream, they employ a PIM system like Akeneo or a more focused data distribution system like Syndic8 to syndicate that consumer-facing product content along with the metadata essential to organize and display products successfully across all the multiple online channels.
If you’re a fast-growing, modern brand wondering which system to implement first, it’s important to remember that no consumer brand has ever disrupted their market and fended off larger competitors through better information storage. All the brands you trust and know by name disrupted their market by building loyal communities around them through deeper, more engaging storytelling — all the way down to the product page.
Choosing a PIM is a very big decision. Take 20 minutes to check out Talkoot and make sure you’re making the right choice for your business.